Conferences and Trainings
Start Planning Now for Upcoming Awareness Days
Sept. 9, 2013: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Awareness Day. Celebrated every year on the ninth day of the ninth month to emphasize the importance of mothers not drinking for all nine months of pregnancy. More information
Sept. 10, 2013: World Suicide Prevention Day. Theme: “Stigma: A Major Barrier to Suicide Prevention.” World Suicide Prevention Day is “an opportunity for all sectors of the community to join with the International Association for Suicide Prevention and the World Health Organization to focus public attention on the unacceptable burden and costs of suicidal behaviors with diverse activities to promote understanding about suicide and highlight effective prevention activities.” More information (Activities/World Suicide Prevention Day).
June 11-13, 2013: “Delivering Autism Services in Pennsylvania: Practical Strategies and Tools,” Sixth Annual Pennsylvania Autism Training Conference, Eden Resort Inn and Suites, Lancaster. Sponsored by the Bureau of Autism Services. More information at www.dpw.state.pa.us/foradults/autismservices/index.htm
July 10-12, 2013: “Be the Change,” 21st Annual Pennsylvania Permanency Conference, Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, Lancaster. Sponsored by the Office of Children, Youth and Families, Independent Living Services and the Statewide Adoption and Permanency Network.
July 24-26, 2013: Pennsylvania Community on Transition, Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel, State College, PA. More information
July 29-Aug. 1, 2013: National Autism Conference, Penn Stater Conference Center and Hotel, State College. Sponsored by the Penn State Outreach Center and the PA Department of Education. More information at www.outreach.psu.edu/programs/autism/index.htm
- Oct. 2-3, 2013: Safe Schools Conference, Holiday Inn Harrisburg-Hershey, Grantville. Sponsored by the Center for Safe Schools. (News and Events)
- Oct. 16-17, 2013: Pennsylvania Suicide Prevention Conference, Ramada Inn and Conference Center, State College. Sponsored by the PA Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative and the Adult/Older Adult Suicide Prevention Coalition. Watch for more information
- Oct. 16-18, 2013: 29th Annual International Conference on Young Children with Special Needs and Their Families, Hilton San Francisco Union Square, San Francisco, Ca. Sponsored by the Division for Early Childhood.
- Oct. 17-18, 2013: Fifth Annual Pennsylvania Infant Mental Health Conference, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. Sponsored by the PA Infant Mental Health Association.
- Oct. 22-24, 2013: “Igniting the Imagination: Inspiring Action,” Early Childhood Education Summit, Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel, State College. Sponsored by the Office of Child Care and Early Learning.
- Nov. 6-8. 2013: Pennsylvania Conference on Juvenile Justice, Harrisburg Hilton and Towers, Harrisburg. Sponsored by the Juvenile Court Judges’ Commission and other.
Additional information can be obtained at the CASSP Alert Newsletter: http://listserv.dpw.state.pa.us/cassp-alerts.html
Note: Additional children’s mental health training is available from Drexel University, www.drexelmed.edu/bhe; University of Pittsburgh Office of Education and Regional Programs, www.wpic.pitt.edu/oerp/; and Philadelphia Child and Family Therapy Training Center, www.philafamily.com.
OMHSAS Lunch and Learn
Learn more about what the OMHSAS, Stakeholder, and Consumer communities are doing to support resiliency and recovery in our mental health System! OMHSAS hosts Lunch and Learn training sessions every second and fourth Friday from 12:00 - 1:30 p.m; these trainings are available via WebEx. The training topics include helpful information on Children and Transition Age Youth, Adults, Older Adults, and personal stories of recovery. Visit the Network of Care to view videos of past sessions. For more information call 717-787-6443. The 2011 schedule is available here.
Drexel University College of Medicine Behavioral Healthcare Education
The Institute for Recovery and Community Integration
Pennsylvania Recovery Organizations Alliance (PRO-A)
The Recovery Institute (RI) Training Program:
UPMC Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic Office of Education and Regional Programming:http://www.wpic.pitt.edu/oerp
Magellan Health Services - Resiliency and Recovery E-learning Center: